Environmental Health Technician
Environment, Animals and Plants
IMMEDIATE APPLICATION ADVISABLE.
TO START BEFORE FRIDAY 28th JUNE 2019
The role will report directly to the Research Director. The job will entail the following duties:
• Support the Research Coordinator(s) and Senior Aquatic Technician(s) and Aquatic Technician(s) in ensuring the smooth running of trials.
• Day to day husbandry of fish and/or shrimp within the facility.
• Monitor and maintain optimal water quality parameters.
• Identify and solve promptly any issues related to animal husbandry and welfare.
• Assist with data collection, weighing, sample collection, preparation and storage.
• Check data and working practices to ensure all data is collected and work undertaken according to the SOPs.
• SOP writing and updating.
• Maintenance of RAS, including pumps, filters, tanks, etc. and system cleaning.
• Any other duties commensurate with the grade and level of responsibility of this post, for which the post holder has the necessary experience and/or training.
Desirable personal qualities
Essential skills, qualifications and competencies
• Thorough attention to detail.
• Ability to work well in a small team.
• Ability to work independently when required.
• Highly trustworthy with understanding of commercial sensitivity.
• Understanding of basic requirements for biosecurity.
• Highly professional attitude.
• Excellent IT skills including the use of MS Word, Outlook and Excel.
• A bachelor’s degree in a marine or aquaculture discipline.
Desirable skills, qualifications and competences
• A higher degree in a marine or aquaculture discipline.
• Experience of aquaculture facilities through education or employment.
• Understanding of the needs and requirements of fish and/or shrimp.
• Understanding of water chemistry and its impact on animals, and how to manage.
***IMPORTANT INFORMATION*** BEFORE APPLYING FOR THIS VACANCY PLEASE ENSURE you complete your vacancy profile as fully as possible, and provide an up-to-date mobile number & email address in your application. PLEASE ENSURE that you are eligible for a Jobs Growth Wales position **IF YOU RE INVITED FOR INTERVIEW, please ensure you contact the employer to confirm that you WILL or WILL NOT be attending. **IF YOU ARE OFFERED A START DATE - please ensure you contact the employer to confirm that you WILL or WILL NOT be starting CHECK your email inbox and Careers Wales account regularly for updates to your application. Suitable candidates will be notified of interview arrangements as appropriate.
Your application will be refused if you are not eligible.
Apply for this vacancy through our site. If you have an account, log in
now. Or, sign up
now to register and set up an account.
Once registered and logged in, there are two ways you can apply:
1. Upload your CV. (If you plan to apply by CV upload and would like help to write or improve your CV, get help on our CV pages
2. Complete the online vacancy application form. (The best way to do this is to complete Your Profile
first. Then you can import this into the vacancy application)
This vacancy has been placed by the employer in the language of their choice. This means that the vacancy might only appear in Welsh or English.